Menopause is a normal biological event that occurs in all women, usually about age 50. The official diagnosis is made after the loss of menstrual periods for 12 consecutive months.
What is menopause?
Menopause is a normal part of the aging process for women. Menopause is due to low hormone levels and marks the end of your reproductive years. Your estrogen levels decrease dramatically during this time, which causes most of the symptoms commonly associated with menopause such as hot flashes.
Menopause begins with a phase often referred to as perimenopause. During perimenopause, the supply of mature eggs in your ovaries decreases and your production of estrogen and progesterone fluctuates and also diminishes. This typically lasts three to five years and can include frequent or skipped periods, shorter cycles, increased PMS and hot flashes that come and go unpredictably.
What are the symptoms of menopause?
The symptoms of menopause include:
- Hot and/or cold flashes along with night sweats
- Discomfort during sex (usually due to vaginal dryness)
- Dry skin, eyes, or mouth
- A need to urinate more often, especially at night
- Insomnia, trouble getting back to sleep
- Emotional issues (irritability, mood swings, and mild depression)
It's not uncommon to have other uncomfortable symptoms as well, including:
- Headaches, as well as joint and muscle pains
- Decreased libido
- Difficulty concentrating, along with memory lapses
- Weight gain
- Hair loss
After menopause, women are also more susceptible to cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and urinary incontinence.
How is menopause treated?
There are treatments available at Pasadena Pellet Therapy to help you with the symptoms of menopause. Your treatment options include:
- Lifestyle changes
- Vitamins, supplements and non-prescription medications
- Non-hormonal prescription medications
- Hormone therapy (including low-dose hormone pills, skin patches, topical gels or creams, or bioidentical hormone therapy in the form of pellets placed under the skin)
To determine the correct course of action, the doctors at Pasadena Pellet Therapy will take into account your age, overall health and medical history, as well as what your symptoms are, how often they occur, their severity, and what you’re currently doing to deal with them.
The doctors will educate you on menopause and determine which of your symptoms are from menopause and which are connected to the natural process of aging. Your tolerance for specific medicines, procedures, or therapies are taken into consideration before a customized treatment plan is created just for you.